Tuesday, March 6, 2012

ENGLISH SKILL - 4

am is are  
Prior information
Subject, First , Second and the Third person, Past participle verb, passive voice etc.
Click  Grammarmail for detail

am, is and are are  used  to show existence or non existence of someone or something in the present time 

I am a Teacher.
She is a Smart girl.
They are Travellers.
It is a Robot.
He is not in the cabin.


Structure      am/is/are
Person                     Singular                             Plural

 First                            I am                                     We are

 Second                        You are                               You are

 Third                         He/she/it  is                        They are

Five types of  spoken sentence   
1. She is my sister (Simple sentence). 
2. She is not my sister (Negative).
3. Is she my sister? ('yes/no' question)?
4. Is she not /Isn't she my syster? (Negative 'yes/no' question)?
5. Who is she? ('wh' question). 
All the above five types of sentences can be uttered in eight or more moods of utterance.

am is are usage (to convey some information/message)
Five types of spoken sentences
Simple statement : Subject + am/is/are + information/message.
He is a student.
Negative: subject + am/is/are + not + information
She is not a teacher. / She isn’t teacher.
Yes/No question: am /is/are + Subject + information
Is she a teacher.?
Negative yes/no Question: am/is/are +not + subject + information
Is she not a teacher? Or Isn’t she a teacher?
Wh question : Wh word + am/is/are + subject
What is she?
Dialogue  between A and B  
A- Where is you home. B- At Boat club A- Is it near to the Beach? B-No it is close to St. George School.
A-Hi Julia how are you? B -Hi Mary I'm fine. A-Were are you now? B-I am in Texas . A- I mean where (do) you work? B- I am in AB foods . A- Very nice
A-Where is the Railway station B- It’s 3 kilometers away from here. A- Are there buses to the station. B- Yes there are. Why buses? Take an auto it’s convenient. A- Thanks a lot. B- Welcome.


              am is are usage ( with 'ing' verb= past participle verb)
'Ing' verb =  eating/watching/walking/writing/listening etc,
Five type of sentences and structure
Simple statement: Subject + are + ’ing’ verb + information
They  are writing examination.
Negative: Subject + not + ing verb + information
They are not writing examination.
Yes/no question: am/is/are + subject + ing verb + information
Are they writing examination?
Negative question: Am/is/are + not + ing verb + information.
Are they not writing examination? or Aren’t they writing examination?
Wh question: Wh word + am/is/are + subject + ing verb
What are they writing?/What are they doing?
Each type of the above   sentences can be uttered in eight moods  of utterance. (Please see the previous session)

More sentences
She is watching a TV program.
They are not coming to the movie today.
Is she not reading the news paper?
Aren’t you going with Sarah?
Who are you taking to ( over phone)? With Julia

Dialogue 
A- What are you doing? B- I am writing a note. A-What note? B- Business note.
A-Who are you talking to (over phone)? B- Talking to John A- What about? B- About tomorrow’s  program.
A- Where is Roy? B- He is in office. A- Why is he in office? B- He is preparing the annual report




                                                        am is are (with passive voice)
 For past participle verb  explanation, please go to grammar page 
Five types of sentences and structure
 Simple statement: Subject + am/is/are + Past participle verb+information
He  is married.
Negative: Subject + am/is/are + not Past participle + information
He is not married.
Yes/no question: am/is/are + subject +  Past participle + information
Is he married?
Negative question: am/is/are + not + Past participle + information
Is he not married./Isn’t he married? 
Wh question: Wh word + am/is/are + subject+ information
Where is he married?/When is he married?
All the above five types can be uttered in eight moods of utterance (Please see the previous session)

More  sentences
They are pleased with my opinion.
The room is not cleaned.
We are not informed.
He is married to Susan. 
Are you married?                                  
They are caught. Why? They are thieves.
She is totally broken after the defeat in election.
They are exhausted.
Aren’t you  surprised?.Yes I am.
She is not impressed with the new book.
Why is she disappointed?

 Dialogue 
A- Are you satisfied with your new car? B- No I am not completely satisfied.
A-Why is she tired? B- She is exhausted after a long walk. A- Are you tired too? B- No not at all.

                                                 am is are in news/TV/net headlines
Structure  Flexible
The US president  in Moscow. (is omitted)
Are Indian athletes well trained?
The stock market  on  the up swing. (is omitted)
Standard Travels and Thomas Cook (Companies) are one now.
Colleges closed for annual holidays. .(here ‘for’ is a preposition are is omitted)
I am innocent: education minister.
Runway No. 3 at Shangai  airport closed for repair.(‘is’ is omitted,  'runway No.3 at Shangai  airport'  = subject) 

  am /is/ are   in ads
Structure: Flexible
Change into Your home language
We are open on all Sundays -  Omega watch company,Tokyo
Are you searching for A class apartment? Visit Royal Expo, Sydney.
We are No. one in fashion costumes – Cool Costumes, Sydney..
Sentence for practice.  Make sentences by replacing underlined words with different subjects, verbs, nouns etc.,
 They are  my friends / They are friends of mine.
I am  Joe  and this is. my sister
I am 21 and I am single.
She is in Melbourne.
They are Malaysians, they are my friends.
It is very cold here.
We are in a hurry.
She is late today.
Is she busy? Yes she is.
Aren’t you David. Yes am

.Conversation 1   (Expressions not part of this structure is given in brackets)
A: Are you Jack?
B: Yes , I am (May I  know) Who are you?
A: I am your cousin Jim's  friend.
B: (Oh, I see , What can I do for you?)
A: I am from Dubai. My friend is in Golden avenue. Where is the the Golden avenue?
B: It is very near (to the city).
A: Are there buses to Golden avenue?
B: Yes, Plenty./Yes there are plenty of buses.
A: Thank you very much.
B: It is my pleasure. Bye.

Conversation 2  (Expression not part of this structure is given in brackets)
 A: What is your name?/ your name please?/ May I know your name?
B: My name is Roy.
A: What is your age?/Your age?/ How old are you?
B: I am 23. 
A: Are you married? 
B: No I am single/Yes I am married. 
A: Where are you from?/Your are from? (informal)
B: I am from India?/ India.
A: What’s  your job?/What are you doing?
B: I am in IBM as a system analyst.
A: Where are you staying  now? (I mean in this  city).
B: At Marriot's.

Short responses (negative positive) -question tags. 
You are ready. aren't you? = I/we believe that you are ready.
She is not coming. Is she? = (I/we believe that she is not coming)
They are students. Aren't they? = ( we believe that there are students)
Jack is not in office. Is he? = (I/we are sure that Jack is not in the office)
Please note, for positive statement  there is  a negative response and for negative statement there is a positive response.
            

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

No comments:

Post a Comment