Saturday, April 20, 2013

Short forms in English - 61



               Short forms in English

                                 Out of the Books Stuff                                                                                                                  

SHORT FORMSShort forms are common in written as well as in spoken English. Apostrophe (‘) is used to write short forms. The words  I am may be written I’m (‘) indicates missing letter a, and It is very well understood by the reader. The most commonly used short forms are given below. Please note that  these short forms are not SMS words and can be used in formal English speaking and writing. 

 Is = ‘s
Am = ‘m
Are = ‘re
Have = ‘ve
Is / Has = ‘s (can be understood from the context.)
Had / would  = ‘d ( Can be understood from the context.)
Will = ‘ll

Short forms in negatives
Is  not = isn’t
Are not = aren’t
Was not = wasn’t’
Were not = weren’t
Has not  = hasn’t
Had not  = hadn’t
Do not = don’t
Does not = doesn’t
Did not = did not
Will not = won’t
Would not = wouldn’t
Shall not = shan’t
Should not = shouldn’t
Must not = mustn’t
Need not = needn’t
Cannot = can’t (can not)

NOTE:
10 O’ Clock = 10 of the clock
It’s = It is
Its = of the/ belongs to

Shortened forms in sentences

My brother’s reading a news paper = My brother is reading a news paper
My brother’s reading room = The reading room belongs to my brother.(‘s is not a shortened form in this case)
Who’s your friend. = Who is your friend.
What’s  your favorite color. = What is your favorite color.
She’s got three children = She has got three children.
I’ d  like to have some coffee.
You’re looking nice. = You are looking nice.
I’d submitted the document. = I had submitted the document.
She’ll come tomorrow. = She will come tomorrow.
It’s time to go to bed. = It is time to go to bed.
Let’s have some soft drinks.=  Let us have some soft drinks.
I don’t know = I do not know.
They won’t attend the meeting. = They will not attend the meeting.
She hasn’t visited Rome = She has not visited Rome.
He doesn’t know French. = He does not know French.  

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected   
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment