Saturday, November 23, 2013

can,could,may/might - 88

                                 Out of the Books Stuff       
                               Experience English-in-Action
                 (updated on 7th,14th,21st & 28th of every month)                                      
                                                                                                         Due to Prolong internet cable break  in my home town Chennai (India)
I am totally helpless and unable to upload new updates. 
will be back soon.  Sorry for the  Inconvenience -  Blogger Mohammed Fayaz    
                          
Click Basic grammar  For Grammar basics.
Browse down for Communicative English Lessons (Old Posts)         
                       Can, could may/might 
Can, could, may/might are called modal auxiliaries because they are used to express moods of a person
Can is usually used to express ability or capacity
She can speak French. (Statement)
She can’t speak French. (Negative statement)
Can she speak  French? (yes/no  question)
Can’t she speak French? (yes/no negative question)
What language can she speak? (wh question)
Can as a permission word
Can I have some salt please?
Can I get this sheet of paper?
Can I leave now for lunch?
Could as a permission word (More formal than can)
Could you move a little ahead please.
Could you meet me tomorrow?
Could you help me lift this bag.
Could as possibility in the past
She could run fast when she was young.
I could spend money freely when I was a student.
The previous government could borrow money from IMF
Couldn’t as an inability in the past
She couldn’t attend the office work yesterday.
I couldn’t see the dentist last night.
They couldn’t meet the boss this morning.
May as a permission word.
May I use this pen?
May I get in?
May I park  my car here?
May/might as a possibility in negative or positive sense
It may/might rain tonight. (likely to rain)
It may not rain tonight. (unlikely to rain)
She may/might visit us tomorrow. (likely to visit)
She may not visit tomorrow.(unlikely to visit)
I may see Joe this evening. (likely to see)
I may not see Joe this evening (unlikely to see)
END OF THE POST

No comments:

Post a Comment