Sunday, January 6, 2013

Common Errors in English (1) - 47


         Common Errors in English - 47                                                                                                     

             Common  Errors in English - 1    

Prior Knowledge

What is a preposition? The small words like  to, for, about, below, across etc. are used with nouns or verbs to form prepositional phrases, these words  are called prepositions

She wants to buy a pen.
They are waiting for the train.



The following verbs are not followed by prepositions

She discussed about her career plan with the Career officer.
She discussed her career plan with the Career officer.

The Captain described about his new strategy to his men.
The Captain described his new strategy to his men.

The President has ordered for immediate relief to the quake Victims.
The president has ordered immediate relief to the quake victims.

The UN has requested for immediate aid to the  poor countries.
The UN has requested immediate aid to the poor countries.

The Police made  him to wait for two hours.
The Police made him wait for two hours.
(Both the sentences are acceptable, but the first one is old fashioned.)


NOTE:
He was ordered to pay for the damages. – Correct (passive form)
She was requested to attend the board meeting. – Correct (passive form)


Nouns that  don’t have singular form
Where is my  pant?
Where are my pants?

Where is my Spectacle?
Where are my spectacles.

Please bring my scissor.
Please bring my scissors.


Singular noun used in plural sense
The Police has  have arrived after some time.
The Staff  have not reported. ( ‘staff ’ can be used in singular or plural sense, with appropriate auxiliary verb.)
                                
The following words are uncountable  nouns (in a broader sense), hence they wouldn’t  be preceded by a/an.

The words are;  paper, wood, ice, Scenery, soap, bread, business, advice glass etc.

He gave me a wood
He gave me a piece of wood.

Give me a paper to write.
Give me a sheet of paper to write.

She brought a good news.
She brought good news.

He sold the old furnitures.
He sold the old furniture.

Jim has brought two breads.
Jim has brought two loaves/pieces of breads.

Please give  me a soap.
Please give  me a soap cake .

Put some ice into the glass of water.
Put some ice cubes into the glass of water.

My friend gave me a good advice.
My friend gave me good advice.

Take out this glass.
Take out this glass piece.

End of the Post - 47                                                                                                                                                 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected   


No comments:

Post a Comment